Shree Purna primary school, Burke village, Rasnalu vdc, Ramechhap
The rebuilding of a school, including toilets, furniture and decoration
Burkey project – 2016
Our first project after the earthquake
Adam Chałupski – Project Architect, developed a sustainable building system combining a gabion wall – superadobe round wall – hexagonal with a double pitch steel roof framework. He has created a complete set of blueprints and 3D models. He was responsible for the on-site project-coordination and the training of all participants to become independent builders.
- with 85 volunteers
- from 26 different countries
- of 4 different continents
- and minimum 50 days of rain
- at least 10 times that our tents flooded
- several nightly visits of leopards, dogs, cats and mice who came to steel our sugar, dhal, eggs and biscuits…
- with 7 chickens, 1 dog, snakes, frogs and a village of ants in the camp
- attending 3 weddings
- 1 full fun monsoon season
- eating at least 200 times dhal bhat
- more than 3.000 kg of cows-shit
- 3 big soil and sand mission days
- having the tractor being stuck for 3 hours on a day when we rented the tractor for only 3 hours..
- finishing the entire project with only one severe accident with 5 stitches..
After all that, finally: in 100 days, 14 weeks, 3 full moons, 10.000 working hours, 1 barbecue, 200 kg of rice, 1500 packets of biscuits, 3 birthdays and many, many big FUN campfire nights: WE did it!
We built a school!
Click here to see the Financial Report
Thanks to Fiona Young, one of Burke Project volunteers, for this really nice video!